A webinar hosted by the Fellow.app
Fellow hosted a panel of leaders and managers from different companies at different levels in tech! It was an exciting panel in which I took some notes and tips to include in my notes.
Some of the topics that were addressed in this webinar are:
- First 1:1 and the challenges that each manager faced in their starting journey
- Conducting the 1:1 meeting and the importance of keeping your direct reports engaged all the time.
- How to manage high-performing team members and create value for them in the 1:1 meeting.
- General tips and advice to practice in your 1:1.
What do you ask in your first 1:1?
- What do you like to get from your manager?
- What did you get from the previous manager that you didn't like?
- How do you like to get feedback?
What other questions do you ask in your 1:1?
- What have you done recently? Something you are proud of, which I may don't know about?
- How would you describe the last week(s) in one word or sentence?
How do you get people to buy the idea of 1:1?
- Make good use of their time and make it valuable for them.
- Let them know beforehand (if you can).
How do you deal with 1:1 with the high performers in your team?
- Tell high-performing members what you feel and how their work contributes to the team's purpose.
- Use their knowledge and skills as advisors and consultants in the team.
- Prepare them for the next career steps.
- You can have 1on1 without the camera; maybe that will make people feel more relaxed.
- Keep changing and evolving the 1:1 meeting to fit the needs of your direct reports.
- Don't do 1on1 on Monday or Friday (taken from the manager path book)
- Keep asking questions, and you will be surprised by the amount of information you will get.
- Be okay with silence; practice it.
- Ask open-ended questions rather than yes/no questions to let them talk.